Friday, April 11, 2014

Decisions, decisions. ..

Disclaimer: I'm writing this in response to some stuff that has happened in my life, and the people around me.  There is a specific audience.  If you are wondering if it's you, then it's not you.  It is in no way complete, or absolute, or the only way to handle situations.  If it doesn't apply to you, or even make sense, then, dear reader, chalk it up as the writings of some other yahoo on the internet, and move on.


Our lives are based on, & the result of, the decisions we make.   Sure, we all have to deal with the effects of other people's decisions as well,  but for the most part, our life is what we make it.  

Every moment is ripe with the opportunity to learn from the situations we're in;  to either learn not to make that same decision again, or we can choose to make better choices for our lives.
Some of us pick up on this dynamic early in our lives,  while other people have to go around the mountain over & over again.  (Aaaaand over and over and over again...)
[Rabbit trail.  What, or WHO, is the mountain?  Sorry.  Shiny things.]

We all come to pivotal moments in our lives, where we have to make a decision to change things.  If you're at one of those moments/days/weeks/months in your life, this little list may help you assess some things.  Or maybe it won't.  Either way, do with it what you have to. 

If you find yourself in a situation that seems vaguely familiar, or even if it's the downright same, you have to ask yourself some questions.
(Take this as a sort-of self-assessment.)

1.  What was my response to this situation last time I encountered it?

2.  Will I be making the same decision again?

3.  What brought me to this situation?

4.  If I make the same decision this time, as I did last time, what am I expecting to be different?

5.  If I make the same decisions as I did in the past, why should the situation turn out differently this time?

6.  What did I learn, or not learn, the last time I was in this situation?

7.  Who am I seeking counsel from?  Do I have someone that I trust enough to keep me accountable through the decision-making process?  Am I being completely honest with them, so they can help me in the best way possible?  And, am I listening to them?

8.  Am I a different person now, compared to the last time you were in this situation?
     -  If so, how?
     
     

It's always helped me to move into the next stage of life by understanding what brought me to that stage, as well as keeping a firm hold on the lessons I've learned along the way - to be read "applying them".

Hope this helps... someone.