Saturday, September 29, 2012

Music

Music moves me.
   
      It's what opens up my soul to the world around, as if my whole being is saying, "THIS is how I feel!"   "THIS is what I'm experiencing!"  "THIS is what I'm unable to say!"

Sometimes it's the words sung, other times it's the accompanying instrumentation, and more often than not, it's the combination of the two.

It's the lovely combination of notes, the sounds produced by the instruments.  The infusion of the Spirit into every single note, every breath taken, every pluck of strings.  It's the power that drives the inspired singer to cry out during a specific word; that's what speaks to me.

It's the divine hidden in the song.
It's the Creator of all things, gifting us with a sound that rings of the heavens.

It's the surprise of keys being changed, bringing a whole new emotion to the awareness.

It's the gift of the Holy God, sharing His ability with us to make something...beautiful.

It's the appreciation for vision, to see the process of putting sounds together to feel what inspiration is.

It's the uncanny combination of electric guitar mixed with primitive drum beating.
     The simplicity of spoken prayer accompanied with simple strings of acoustic guitar.
          The sould-penetrating power of amplification.
               The binding of sound to emotion.

Music brings an intimate awareness of creativity; to pull out of yourself newness, expressions of beauty.

All music speaks to me this way.  To listen to some of the most well-known songs, and hear something new each time.  Listening to music from all over the world, I am moved by the universal desire of all humanity to make music, allowing me to partake in the pain, the rejoicing, the fun, the uncertainty, the bliss... all through music.

It makes me appreciate the Almighty even more, for creating sound, and the ears to hear, and the connection of the two to our souls. 

Music allows me to feel the small-ness of me in all things, and the absolute immensity of God in everything.


Now if you'll excuse me, my favorite song is on.